Tuesday, March 18, 2014

2014 full status on Symetra Tour

The past few years have been a journey for me. I have worked over 7 part-time jobs trying to provide for myself while trying to nurture my passion for the game of golf. Oftentimes I found myself in the position where I had to step away from the game. This happened in college for 2 years when I naively thought I could just walk onto a division 1 champion team. Again after college and was faced with student loans and no money to pay them, and again after not winning big break like I thought was my only option to pursue a tour career. This time away from golf was extremely hard, but as much as I thought it hurt my game at the time, it always launched my desire and passion for tour life tenfold. One step back, two steps forward is the pace I tend to gravitate toward I guess. I knew I had untapped potential and this desire to play golf as my career wouldnt go away and instead it kept growing as I placed my future in God's hands. I told myself I could win a million dollars on THE Amazing Race and sponsor myself, but my sister and I were the first off. After this "failure" I actually started looking at these opportunities differently, instead of putting so much pressure on myself to win, I told myself to just keep walking through the doors that God opens for me. I ended up gaining a positive attitude that I could do anything I set my mind so and instead of being afraid of what I could lose, I started looking at what i could gain, even if it is just the experience, I had at this point realized how valuable each experience really is. I quit my jobs and focused my energy into putting myself into a more positive environment, and worked on my game without knowing where the next opportunity would be or how I would afford it. I kept playing with friends around town who kept me encouraged, traded my golf coach Dennis Sheehy lesson hours for babysitting hours, and kept walking through the doors that were held open for me. I am happy to announce my first full time season on tour this year! I have a fantastic support from Xcell sports management, and a new sponsor Katherine Cosmetics. I am going to show you the drive of a First Tee kid, and this passion that has been cultivated by years of "failures" and lessons learned. I am finally ready and could not be more ecstatic! Thank you to all who have supported me and believed in me! This is only the beginning! :) Team Tanaka! "Not having anything makes us appreciate everything" "Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

3 comments:

  1. stumbled across your site! May the Lord richly bless your experience on the Symetra Tour! Proverbs 3:5-6

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Maiya. You are an inspiration on and off the course. I will share your recent blog with my daughter as she looks forward to meeting you one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for extremely kind words. I totally agree that golf offers so many avenues to positive mental health. Positive thoughts heading your way! Read more

    ReplyDelete